Monday, April 16, 2007

AG2


Tomorrow will be some must-see TV on C-SPAN. Actually, it won’t be so much must-see as it will be must-listen. I’ll be out for the day so I’ll miss most of it; I’m sure I can get some clips and reviews when I get home tomorrow evening (before heading to the Patty Griffin concert in D.C.) I tried to take a read through AG2’s opening statement to the committee (it runs a compact 25 pages!) but stopped after five pages and began to simply scan. What he’s addressing tomorrow falls within that opening 20% of the statement. I’m sure they’ll let him ramble on for the entire thing, ‘day in court’ and all that, but the last 20 pages cover these items: national security (terrorism buzzwords), protection of children (sexual predators), civil rights (Jackie Robinson and Don Imus neatly tied-in), border security (illegal aliens), intellectual property (my blog! I couldn’t think of anything else to equate), state, local, and tribal assistance (native Americans), and responsiveness to Congressional requests (he is kidding, right?). A breakdown of the final 80% of his opening?

Terrorist
Child Molesters
African Americans
Illegal Aliens
Native Americans
His undying commitment to cooperate
my Blog (or not).

That is one list of catchy, inflammatory subject matter – none of it relevant in the least. Is it good DoJ is doing those things? Sure. Does he need to bring up all this when the questioning is about a specific set of events? No. He might as well let us know that he buys off-the-rack, went to law school, his children are honor students at some school (see his bumper sticker), his wife is attractive, and his golf handicap is 6. They have nothing to do with why he’s there either, but for some reason he forgot to include those in his opening montage. Politics.

T.

No comments: