Friday, March 09, 2007

sending word

As I sat on a bus bench in the 1900 block of Gallows Road in Vienna, Virginia, I was text messaging My Love who was, at that moment, sitting in Patisserie Valerie in Sloane Square, London SW3. My text messages contained nothing but profane curses upon her vacationing in London without me. Apparently she felt the need to tell me she was sitting in Valerie while texting me...Valerie! My place. I introduced her to the joint and first chance she gets she's off two-timing me with the could-care-less wait staff and a polenta-gorgonzola salad. Tramp.

As I sat on the bench, overcoming my despair, I thought of the magic of texting on a wee phone in Virginia, pushing the send button, thinking nothing of it, and suddenly getting a message back from the beyond. Really - that's amazing. I have a little understanding on how these things work just like I have a little understanding of gravity or chemisty - it's no less amazing. Ones and zeroes flying off into the air (yes, I looked up as I thought of this), hitting some metal, going through lines and satellites, right to her waiting hand. Capital.

This little scene then made me laugh out loud when I remembered Phil's take on great explorers and world travelers that were always out on the very edge of the world as we know it: risking life and limb, hauling all their crap around for months, hundreds of miles from any known civilization....yet, they always 'sent word' back home or to the Queen. I've started to think that they were no more than two miles from the last developed bit of suburbia and simply stopped in at the local Mailboxes, Etc. and sent off a post.

I'm off to Blockbuster to get the boys some movies.

I'll send word.

T

No comments: