Sunday, March 25, 2007

big mo'


Mo', in the sports world, means momentum - once set in motion it continues in motion. Maybe you remember a team that got the mo' and ran away with a championship; maybe you were running for a Red Line train at Metro Center and the woman in front of you lost mo'...and got trampled. I know it's only Sunday and I shouldn't be so frenzied about catching a train because I'm not really late for anything - but the trains only run every 15 minutes on the weekend. It's a gorgeous day here in the Capital and I didn't want to spend another fifteen minutes in the subterrean warren. Tourists. I was headed up the stairs from the inbound Orange Line train and could hear the Glenmont rumbling into the station - I was on my way to the DuPont Circle farmer's market and a whirl through Melody Music CD shop just off the circle. About once a month I manage to sneak in early enough to pick-and-choose from a lovely selection of locally grown organic goods: veg, fruit, dairy, flowers, etc. Back to the story. As I'm running towards the train, let's say I'm about thirty feet out, behind a woman running for the same door who seems to be on my wavelength and we are both set for success. The red light comes on above the doors, the beeping starts to sound and the doors are nearing closure - we'll make it but it's going to be close. As she nears the door, and realizes she'll make it through, she slows to a walk at the door threshold and decides to amble...remember...mo'! I almost ran her down as my bigger mo' is nearly unstoppable. Since I'm light of foot (and could cut a rug if I decided to) I managed to side-step the speed bump and sneak onboard while my mind is screaming "MOVE!". When I got home later in the morning I relayed my distress at silly, mindless people that inhabit my world and X informs me that the WonderTwins routinely physically assault other passengers as they board the carriages. I guess that's how Justice is served in D.C. these days.

If one wonders about what you eat this time of year when you're trying to buy local and seasonal produce - you eat greens. I think Spring time is that period when all the really filling grub is gone and you've got weeds and greens. Along with that you've got the sure thing of quality cheese and the awesome mushroom lady - I'll get a snap of the mushroom lady and her wares next time I go. I grabbed the Sunday NYTimes, a cup of coffee, The Clash's Sandinista, and headed home about 11a.

The picture above is our table. This is what is looks like when the girlfriend is studying Con Law II for finals and the boyfriend is a floral obsessed nutjob. She actual says this to me, "baby, I think we have enough flowers." What kind of girl...

Peace.

T.

No comments: