Sunday, July 05, 2009

a manouever


I mistakenly forgot to pass along my tennis confession. I watched the first 4 1/2 sets online at NBC.com - but suddenly, and without warning, they cut the feed at 6-6 in the fifth. The feed continued to post "network difficulties" but it was clearly a matter of the "fuck yous". I was, surprisingly enough, fully able to reconfigure and watch the Travelers' commercials - shocking. Suddenly, action needed to be taken - heroic action - and we fired up the big 36" Sony Wega configured with the digital converter box. It was all for shit and the remote did nothing but fire the on/off switch if you hit any button: no scan, no channels, something messed up in the wiring. As we tried to rescan the channels and get NBC to configure we were stuck sorting out how to start the scan, remove the batteries quickly enough to allow scan completion, and then repower the system to get the tennis on. You've got to be kidding me. Or, in the immortal words of John McEnroe, "You CAN'T be serious!" X manned the remote and longed for the ribbon deloader while I sat on my ass directing activities. As she finally managed to yank the AAAs from the remote in mid-tune, and we suddenly had the NBC picture - the only one that came in since it's first - she fell to the floor in misery as I told her to quit her belly-aching; shhhh, the tennis is on. By that time it was 10-9, Federer, and I called in for assistance. Needless to say, she was fine and assitance wasn't required as she later in the evening said to me, "You didn't mention my heroic effort that allowed you to watch that tennis thing."


I love her.

t

No comments: