Tuesday, July 08, 2008

parental discretion required

On our way back to The Hilltop earlier this evening we were sitting behind a Prius at a traffic light over on the Idylwood Dr. when a funny thing crossed my mind. After relaying this little nugget to X, I told her I’d consider it irony if I knew how to actually define irony. I have my own definition, as does Alanis Morrisette. The point was this; I remember when I was driving a Prius back in 2004 (they’d been out in America for about a year) and reading how all the ‘geniuses’ were badmouthing the car as some sort of Hollywood, liberal, people-I-couldn’t-care-less-about, statement. There was quite a waiting list for new vehicles (I bought a used one) and it wasn’t until about 2005/06 that Toyota managed to produce enough for the 'elite'. Just long enough to let Toby Keith and his gang of slackjaws settle down and get back to buying Hummers, SUVs, pick-up trucks, and anything else not needed by normal people. Just long enough to now laugh that American auto companies and consumers could have produced and bought more efficient cars. Throughout it all there was a continuous insinuation that people that chose to drive hybrids or economy cars – or chose to ride public transport…dear God! – were clearly intellectuals that didn’t wear American flag lapel pins or give a crap about the troops. Shit, we were probably sitting around drinking tea, eating tempeh, and watching Clooney movies. By the grace of God we will forever have cheap, subsidized gas so there’s no need to question my patriotism since I’m driving a big F350 Turbo Diesel.

Surprise, motherfu*&er! It ain’t free and it won’t last forever. The loudest hum of complaint and flow of tears are coming from Jethro, his dog, his girlfriend, and his DVD-equipped jumbo truck. I have no sympathy at all – zero. In fact, jack that price up as high as possible and let’s be done with it.

I’m bitter.

I don’t hate everyone, but it’s and ever-growing list.

t

No comments: