Thursday, May 08, 2008

our buddy

I’ll get off politics for a few days until we stumble into either conclusion or the West Virginia primary.

No Depression magazine is involved in two brilliant events this week: first, they are marking the end of their 13-year run as what I think of as the best music magazine. You might think that the end wouldn’t be a cause for celebration, but the mere fact that they lasted so long and stayed dead-on true to a theory of music, musicians, and the business says a great deal for the founders.

Second, and more amazingly, they’ve named Buddy Miller as their artist of the decade. I couldn’t believe it when I saw Buddy gracing the cover of the final issue. (They named Alejandro Escovedo as their first artist of the 90s.) I’ve long ago covered my love of Buddy Miller’s music – dubbing him the last savior of true country – so there’s no need to rehash it all in this entry. Feel free to search the blog, you might find at least one video.

If you didn’t happen to notice yesterday, the Cubs gave up seven home runs and somehow didn’t manage to win.

The house is about 12.8% put together but it still seems huge compared to the old place, even with boxes and crap everywhere.

I can feel the summer heat arriving.

No comments: