Thursday, May 24, 2007

be cool, look cool

Occasionally I put on my sunglasses as I’m heading out door and forget to put my glasses case (with my regular glasses) back into my man-purse. It happened this morning. It was no doubt brought on by a combination of just barely getting everything done (crepes, coffee, bagels, New Yorker in the bag, dodging spots of blueberry jam all over the floor, etc.) just as I’m walking out the door with the Wonder Twins. The two of them are now working in the same area of D.C. (McPherson Square) so they are once again striding together into the city each morning; I’m just alone as a token ornament. I’ll tell you that X is none too happy with her summer associate place of employment. Hopefully she’ll settle into a routine over the next week, get into some work, and develop a pattern that allows her to do her own thing – I don’t think interacting with the crowd at the firm is on her agenda.

I forgot to update the earlier entry on the Jeopardy! party we attended last week; she won. It was a little eerie to be sitting in the clubhouse where they live, family, friends, and neighbors all around, and watch her on TV while she was sitting right there. She didn’t answer any questions in the entire first segment due to nerves and learning how to time on the buzzer. She told everyone that during first commercial break the producer was giving her a pep talk and trying to ease her nerves. She got rolling after the commercial and was in third place going into Final Jeopardy – all three contestants were between about $13,000 - $16,000, so it was very close. Sara was the only one to correctly answer the final question, she wagered about $4,000, and ended up beating a five-day champion and earning almost $18,000. Well done…and very exciting.

The weather in the MetroPlex is just perfect right now. Unfortunately, I’m already bracing for the July / August onslaught of deathly heat and humidity. In an attempt to be more positive, and not worry so much about later summer, I officially opened the kebob season with sea scallops, mushrooms, peppers, baby squash, and red onions last evening. We sat outside and had our dinner while enjoying the setting sun.

More to come.

T.

No comments: