Tuesday, June 16, 2009

truth in a bag


A few notes from a shopping venture. On the way to TJs I stopped at a light behind an Isuzu Axiom; my first thought was that if you could Scrabble© an Isuzu Axiom it’d be worth 27 points with no bonus squares included. (Actually, I just thought about the Scrabble© playing portion, I had to look up the values later on.) My second thought was, Axiom? Per Webster’s, here’s the primary definition:

(noun) a self-evident truth that requires no proof.

I guess we could just call it “Car” since that too would be a self-evident truth. I’ve been torn over the last decade or so between hating either stupid names for vehicles or hating stupid alphanumeric sequences as names for vehicles. You might consider this parallel to whether you like how Chicago titled their albums or how The Flaming Lips managed to come up with demented titles. Considering that the Isuzu Axiom looks exactly like every other mini-SUV/suburban mother vehicle it isn’t really self-evident at all. I think I’d just prefer the car companies, or what’s left of them, to simply put the company name on the car and do away with the model. Just choose your model by the look and nix the name; I don’t think you’ll end up with the wrong shape by accident. "I'll have the 1963 Lincoln." It’s sort of the same with what Apple is doing with its operating systems. They’ve latched, inexplicably, onto the family Felinae: cheetah/puma, jaguar, panther, tiger, leopard, snow leopard. Those descriptions also equate to versions 10.1 through 10.6. There doesn’t appear to be any rhyme or reason to the cat name or an actual zoological classification of the greatness of each cat. (Obviously, the leopard v. snow leopard idea is pure lunacy.) If I can’t remember in what order they arrived, by name, I can certainly remember that I have 10.4. There’s little need to look at me and say, “Oh, you have Tiger”, because I have no feline idea. It’s just 10.4; we all learned to count and we can keep up with numbers. And, if you’ll indulge me, I would much prefer to be a cheetah or puma than a tiger so I don’t see how tiger is better, in the end. Maybe we can start a betting line and choose what we think will be the next four versions. Here’s my fortune from the crystal ball:

10.7   Caracal
10.8   Pumpkin (“somewhat strong, round, and sloth-like”)
10.9   Colocolo
10.10 Oncilla

If I’m going to have to figure out how to equate a version number with a genus then we might as well make it fun.

I ended up forgetting to pick up some shredded mozzarella for the boys’ pizza (on said shopping trip) so I had to make an extra stop at the nearest grocery. I bought only the bag of shredded cheese; the cashier scanned it and began putting it into a plastic bag – as they are wont to do. I told him I’d just carry it with the hands provided. I know…I’ve brought this up before but really, a bag to carry a small bag? It wasn’t too far from me going into a hardware store to buy a single, spare drawer handle and having an employee put my handle into a bag for ease of carrying.

Maybe I'll just let it go for today.

t

No comments: