Thursday, October 04, 2007

ah jeez...


I’ve covered the new barber shop situation already but today I stumbled into the soon-to-be new place that’s still being manned by only one of the barbers I want cutting my hair. In I walk and up jumps some guy from his chair chattily directing me in for a ‘do. I’m hardly settled in with my backward superhero cape across my chest before he’s rattling on about something or other. I feel that barbers, new barbers with new customers, should stick to the weather-chat opening. I’ll eventually open up and gab if I feel the need…I usually don’t. His cutting style was way different than what I’ve grown accustomed to over the last 15 months – it makes no sense; it’s like X working all the across clues followed by all the down clues in a crossword before trying to crack corners or leading testimony. That makes no sense either; I put up with it because I love her. If it weren’t for that she’d be on probation, double probation. He’s got clippers when he should have scissors, thinners when he should have clippers – it’s painful to even think about.

You know you’re an upper-level Metro commuter when you recognize speed and flow. The main qualifying box to check is knowing that when you’re departing the train and heading towards the escalator you may need to stop and wait in order to not impede running guy flying down the escalator to catch the (ding ding) train. If he’s sprinting for the train, you need to hold steady and let him through. You’ll get a knowing look when he sees another master commuter.

T.

No comments: