Monday, March 30, 2009

my cult


I was able to watch Milk on DVD over the weekend; I don’t know that there’s much to say that could clarify either the symbolism or add to its laurels. I’ll leave it be.

What I will chat about is the documentary No One Said It Would Be Easy (in stores April 21st or purchased on-line here) that covers the life and times of the band Cloud Cult. I’m a huge Cloud Cult fan so the final result would have had to be horrid for me not to like it. The primary focus is on founders Craig and Connie Minowa and the life they’ve led from the band's formation through personal tragedy, and onward to some critical and public success. Craig, more so than Connie, is the driving musical force behind the albums and the years of endless touring. What he represents – in his mystical and powerful form of songwriting and performance – checks all the boxes on a survey of what I would love about a band I support; maybe a band I want to be in. The music is a multi-layered concoction that marries violin and cello with more common band instruments and Minowa’s powerful storytelling lyrics. I’ve never quite figured out how to describe his somewhat orchestral compositions but the songs always feel as if they are about to lift off and orbit the Earth. The live performances include two visual artists (one being Connie) who create massive paintings on stage throughout the show and then leave/sell the art at the end; leaving behind pieces of the music, art, and love. They’ll be in D.C. in May and I think I’ll finally make a show after missing the two or three passes since I moved here almost three years ago. I think a camera might be in order.

(For my legion of followers, check out these dates in your area:
Monday, April 6th, 2009 @
Pearl Street, Northampton
Tuesday, April 7th, 2009 @
Paradise Rock Club, Boston
Wednesday, April 8th, 2009 @ Toad's Place, New Haven
Friday, May 8th. 2009 @ Neumos, Seattle
Tuesday May 12th, 2009 @
The Independent, San Francisco
Saturday May 16th, 2009 @
Plush, Tucson
Sunday May 17th, 2009 @
Rhythm Room, Phoenix
Wednesday May 20th, 2009 @
The Waiting Room, Omaha)

For those who I haven’t passed word to – mostly through my laziness – I’ll be starting school full-time in the fall at George Mason University here in Virginia. Sen. Jim Webb provided a lot of the impetus by sponsoring, and successfully passing, the new GI Bill that covers all in-state tuition, books, and pays a housing stipend that will actually allow military folks to attend full-time university. It felt strange filling out applications and writing an ‘essay’, but what can you do? I’m sure that my sterling transcript from the U. of Iowa, circa 1983-85 will stun them into submission; you know, you’re always going to have to answer up to your past. I can’t wait for the first big dance. Can I rush a fraternity?

Everyone here is doing well.

Love to all.

t

No comments: