Thursday, November 20, 2008

500



There was a dead spot sometime in 2005 or 2006 where I didn’t do much posting or my numbers might be even more spectacular. I’m not much for milestones but the fact that I’ve bored people, yelled at the public, harassed the government, laughed at Alberto Gonzales (often), pushed my candidates, passed along my school yard adjudication skills, and generally done nothing more than typ-type away for a few years - and that it’s amounted to a vast and honestly wasted field of ones and zeros that make up 500 entries- amazes me. I hate writing, or at least I did when I started this endless chore. In fact, my lack of love for writing is how this came to be – it seemed easier to write one blurb about my life than it was to e-mail everyone with the same story sent to the inboxes of the World. I know, it comes to your inbox anyway – or your Google reader – so I haven’t actually done anything to save time or effort. Except for the fact that I can now easily get away with a standard form letter that needs no personalization; and, I don’t have to make sure I didn’t forget anyone in the to: address line. I often say to X, “refer to my blog” when I start recounting my ideas about Scalia, Bud Selig, music, 7-11, or any other matter of great import to the citizenry.

There have been some entries that were merely links to stories, pictures, videos, or whatnot, but I’ve tried to mostly blab on about what’s going on in my little life-neighborhood and the deep, deep thoughts that run through my mind…laugh at will when considering my ‘deep’ thoughts. If this became nothing more than passing along anecdotes or purely a venue for venting then I’d quit doing it.

I’ve totally made up my own grammatical rules while writing. I could look up the proper uses of colons, semi-colons, dashes, ….. , and italics but that would make this more work than it’s worth. (I often look up grammar but not for blogging.) I wanted everything to a bit more free flow with some personal writing – or speaking – intricacies included. My proofreading isn’t always the best but that’s based on the proportional relationship of how much I’m getting paid. I think my most basic writing skills have gotten better over the years and I’d guess that blogging can stand as a substitute for the olden days of diaries and journals: practice makes writing easier and smoother. We should all write more often because these days we’ve been forced into the communication vortex controlled by the evil triad of e-mail, PowerPoint presentations, and Word documents, so we need the practice in order to get better at putting thoughts to ‘paper’...and to avoid pissing me off as I sit through your horribly constructed presentation.

Sorry, I couldn’t help it.

There’s a beta-version Web site that will analyze the ‘type’ for your blog. This is what came back when I chucked the Paddle into the mixer:

“The entertaining and friendly type. They are especially attuned to pleasure and beauty and like to fill their surroundings with soft fabrics, bright colors and sweet smells. They live in the present moment and don´t like to plan ahead - they are always in risk of exhausting themselves.


They enjoy work that makes them able to help other people in a concrete and visible way. They tend to avoid conflicts and rarely initiate confrontation - qualities that can make it hard for them in management positions.”

Stick around awhile and I’ll dance for your entertainment. I'm not so sure about the soft fabrics result.

Love to all.

t

No comments: