Tuesday, November 18, 2008

kick in the teeth


Do you know what I love? Meetings. Meetings that are allegedly scheduled for a given time that start late and then devolve into an unmoderated, heaping pile of junk. It happens all the time: 90% of the meetings held in the business casual environment are completely unnecessary. And, if you’re going to ‘hold’ a ‘meeting’ you need to have an ‘agenda’ published ahead of time. “Hey guys, let’s get together and blindly say words and communicate via incomplete sentences concerning fragmented thoughts while staring at poorly constructed PowerPoint slides. It’ll be great!” Today I’ll be hostage to a telephone conference / meeting. Nice.

I’m back from my week out West and have settled into some cooking, a comfortable bed, and the cool weather of the greater Metro area.

The Eleven is off to the Opera tonight to see Carmen. The mezzo-soprano, Denyce Graves, is apparently the “greatest Carmen of our time” but we won’t see her – the understudy is doing two shows and one of them is tonight. We have horrible luck with these opera gals – Angela Gheorgiou (La Boheme) ditched us on closing night at the Met in NYC last Spring, and now this. We’ll be riding the Metro and then the Kennedy Center shuttle after learning last outing that parking is $17. At those kinds of prices they could charge $700 for occlusal guards.

Speaking of occlusal guards, my dentist came up with a cost of $719 for a pair. I went in yesterday for the taking of molds – imagining that plastic teeth guards that prevent grinding – and thinking it would run me something like $200. As they are in the middle of doing my uppers the office manager comes in to “let me know” how much it’ll cost and whether or not I want to have the guards fabricated. Apparently, the cost to them is about 15 minutes of time because they send the molds off to be made for $570. There’s also a mysterious $150 lab fee that isn’t covered at all by my insurance. She tells me the lab fee is for some type of special molding-canoodling that makes the guards more comfortable to wear at night. What? They are made for nighttime wear…shouldn’t that be standard. “Anyway, we can give you these night guards but they’re made of wood splinters. If you want them to actually be comfortable we’ll be needing some extra money.” I called back this morning and cancelled the whole thing. I’ll put a bullet between my teeth at night and call it good. Of course, I fell for the same old dentist junk: always ask and agree on cost before Dr. Doolittle gets you in the chair. Unfortunately, most that I’ve come across in the last two years are some shady financial characters.

I’m thinking of putting in for some government bailout money. Has anyone found the application forms online?

T

No comments: