Wednesday, August 08, 2007

haircuttin' hot

I know the weather is a silly conversation piece but when it's this hot it's hard to avoid. About 102 today with a heat index between 110 and 115, depending on the source. As I was walking home from the Metro this afternoon there was a woman waiting for the bus...standing in the shadow of a telephone pole. This sliver of relief was about 10 inches wide; what are you gonna do?

I popped over to the Wilson Blvd. Barber Shop (phone answering technique is "Barber Shop") to get my 'do fixed up and my beard trimmed. I'm trying to look wiser so I've let the shaving take a vacation - Habib was duly impressed with the idea of me growing a beard. I'm now well trimmed and nicely aligned in the facial hair department. Farraj (owner-operator) is off on holiday in Isreal so Habib has been extra busy for the last month...I gave him a little more in the tippage.

As an opposition entry to my bitching about bagging last weekend, I'll tell you that the cashier I had today at the store was unflinchingly cheery. So cheery, in fact, that I almost went nuts just waiting for my $1.82 of change. I think I should take it upon myself to sort out my little peeves - it's not you, it's me.

X is in the final days of her Summer Associate Tour 2007 and we'll head in Saturday morning to tote all her goods home. I'm working on a plan that might allow me to swipe some art on the way out the door since she got shafted on the Art Bidding Event 2007. Maybe if I dolled up in a suit and tie the guard would just wave me out with a "howdy do, Sir". I'll pry some art-placement schematics out of X over the next few days so I know what to heist. (Don't tell her.)

Quillen and I have this set kind of conversation most days - I ask him in the afternoon if he had a nap, "I HAD a nap." Then I ask him if it was good nap, "It WAS a good nap". Did he have any good dreams?, "I had GOOD dreams", and so on. Last night about 8pm he wanders into our apartment and immediately says to me "I just had a GOOD nap". Being an adult and all, I sorted out that, much like our affirmations from others ("Oh, your hair looks great!"), it was simply the normal phrase that comes out of his mouth when he sees me. I think I'll try to broaden my inquiries.

I've got a red clam sauce bubbling away. Gotta run.

T

No comments: