Thursday, August 02, 2007

the bed and breakfast

(the picture is from Hania's Bed and Breakfast in Truckee, California. If you go...stay. Gorgeous)


A few weeks ago Corey was lurking at the Italian Deli and Buy Me Shop when he discovered something called the Mukka Express by Bialetti. What this little jewel reminds one of is this: there are any number of products and companies in this big old world that don't deserve attention: Starbucks, Ford, People magazine, Crocs, etc. Yet, there are hidden and mysterious gems that excel beyond your wildest dreams: the Danish cheese slicer, my risotto, and Lidia Bastianich's recipes. The cappuccino this little devil turns out is amazing, and it meets X's doctoral thesis on products that are technological wonders that don't require electrical power. I must confess that my ability, or results if you will, have been sketchy since our purchase. Fortunately, I know when I've been less than brilliant and I finally decided to sit down today and watch the DVD that came with the pot. Bingo. Us guys don't even have to read anymore - just watch some TV. The lesson I learned today from the instruction module couldn't have possibly been ascertained by any normal human mind: there's a button involved. Get this, I'm suppose to push the button. Ah ha, j'accuse! I'm sorting through my brain file cabinet and haven't yet come up with a time where not pushing an available button was the right choice. There are buttons for a reason.

The rest of your meal is also drawn from the world of ingenius devices that have somehow slipped through the cracks of society (it's another Corey-found product...big head coming, if it can be bigger). The Eleven and clan have commandeered his classic Vitantonio Belgian Waffler. I believe the product comes from the lineage of Angelo Vitantonio of Cleveland. Angelo patented the first pasta machine in 1906 and probably moved on to start a company that produced other kitchenware. I defy anyone to find this two waffler anywhere...those that have them will never sell; they pass them on to family like season tickets to Nebraska games. Go ahead...google it. Don't be drawn in by the new looking Vitantonio waffle thingys...you'll know the king when (or if?) you ever see it.

Update Update Update. I just found one on eBay (I've looked before) and immediately made my first ever eBay purchase. It was up for a $19.99 'buy it now' price...I bought it now. I'm not waiting 6 days 1 hour and 34 minutes to get in a bidding war. Chaaaaaaa-ching. The seller apparently found it at an estate sale - that is how you get one of these babys, aimlessly wandering estate sales where the progeny are too mentally adrift of their parents to realize it's a Vitantonio. "I want nothing to remind me of them. Waffles every weekend? How wierd is that?" Life is good.

This is the greatest waffle maker I've ever known, and loved. I know from waffle makers...I've had any number of cruddy irons. It's so good that I packed it in my luggage* when we headed to Vermont last month. The evil plan consisted of piles of waffles (pecans and cinnamon baked inside) on the back patio on a Vermont Sunday morning. Some blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, yoghurt, and maple syrup somehow settled in on the big table and it turned into a waffling gorge session. Damn fine. If I can somehow move from the commune with both makers in hand then I'm set for my sweet little hotel in the woods near any city named Portland.

As the first of August settled over America last night...the Cubs were in first place. That's something to write home to Mom.

Love to all.

T

* I know you want to hear the TSA discussion on this one:

TSA agent: We've detected some metal in your bag. Can you please step over here.
Me: Sure.
TSA: We've got a notice out on some items of high interest. Please stand right here.
[Special TSA agent Bruce opens my carpetbag and digs with well-covered hands]
TSA: Ahhhh! [tugging and pulling something clunky from my luggage]
Me: Oh, that. I forgot it was in there [eyeing the waffler in the huge Ziploc freezer bag].
TSA: We've been thinking outside the box and this is definitely outside the box.
Me: What? It's in a clear bag. Do you think my mother would let me pack it in my suitcase if it wasn't seperated from my clothes? My shoes are even wrapped in bags. How about a break here? What could I possibly do with a Belgian Waffler?
TSA: Belgian?!

No comments: