Tuesday, July 03, 2007

pressure pressure boom boom


The reason I often miss various celebratory ‘events’ is because I tend to rebel against the masses. A prime example is the national fireworks display over the Mall tomorrow night, in fact, any fireworks display on Independence Day. (If you must know, New Year’s Eve fits neatly into the same box of my junky, non-participatory behavior.) On most Fourths of July I momentarily think of planning an outing somewhere to watch the rockets’ red glare. As it is, once those moments pass, often filled with traffic signs warning of horrible traffic jams or tips on commuting to a people-infested strip of grass, I recognize the error of my ways and decide to settle in at home with a book, movie, or long dinner. It’s not that I don’t like fireworks but the people always seem to be in the way. This year Laurel will be here, and every eleven-year old wants to see a massive display of fireworks, so I’ve planned on lawnchairing on the Virginia side of the Potomac tomorrow ev’n. The reports tell me it’s an excellent view, there will be fewer traffic issues, and we can bypass the mass of humanity on the Mall. I’m sure that with a sweet picnic and our comfy chairs it’ll be a lovely evening. I’ll use tomorrow night's participation to claim exemption from New Year’s and Fourth celebrations until 2010. Don't even ask me.

Addendum: Corey’s boss has invited everyone over to the house for dogs, burgers, and swimming for the Fourth. This is interesting. There are claims of “a great bridge for watching fireworks” and, “maybe we can get into the building and watch from the upper floors” being bandied about. Well…well. This development adds something to the mix: more people. That rarely bodes well in my experience. Think about planning to go out for dinner, or traveling, and remember just how much easier it always ends up being when more people are trying to decide what to do next; feel free to cringe at those memories.

I’ll start a pro/con list this evening.

Feel free to sleep in tomorrow.

T.

No comments: