Thursday, July 19, 2007

begoogled

The organization that runs the Ultimate leagues in the D.C. area has access to about ten different sets of fields all across the greater metro area. Since I have often found myself, in my first season, trying to sort the fields, figure best transport, and building timelines for arrival, I decided to use the Google to build a more effective mousetrap. I think the product turned out quite well as a saved map (hybrid with roads AND satellites) that everyone can access: all the fields with nearest Metro stops, some basic directions, and field tips for players. Making widgets, making widgets. I make the widgets. I’m still old and the after-game party on Park Dr. still involves much moaning, groaning, and rolling on and off furniture.

This just in…no, it’s not the Onion.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Hasbro Inc. will recall about 1 million Easy-Bake Ovens because children could get their hands caught in the front opening and suffer burns, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said Thursday.

A voluntary recall for the ovens was first issued in February so a repair kit could be provided to address the issue. But since then, there have been 249 reports of children getting their hands caught, 77 reports of burns and one girl had a finger partially amputated, the CPSC said.


I certainly have sympathy for the amputated finger, I wouldn’t want that for anyone’s child. The 77 burns and 249 stuck hands (out of 1 million?) don’t seem too catastrophic. Isn’t this a classic case of children learning? How do we get children to not touch a hot burner or oven? I prefer the ‘say no’ method but I know there are parents out there that may lean towards the ‘get burned once and you’ll think twice’ mentality. Look at the opening on this oven…




…it’s a little hole that should be inaccessible because the safety device/cake spatula is in the way. Why are you putting your hand in there? I know…kids. Are these bad boys still powered by 50W light bulbs? Do you let your kid touch a light bulb? Shall we recall all the lamps in America? If your kid is jamming his paw into any random opening with glowing light emanating from within, you’ve got more issues than the Hasbro Easy-Bake. When did they change the name from E-Z Bake? Should we recall fences? Don’t kids get their heads caught in fences?

No comments: