Wednesday, September 01, 2010

what's the frequency, kenneth?


I don’t keep up with all the dalliances of a videophone company or communications law firm. I don’t have Silicon Daily on my morning reading list. I just hang around in the kitchen and eventually the news hits my brain (or in this case, the car.)

I don’t know if Apple has had its presser yet but word is that the music cloud idea may be on the agenda. For background on what exactly a music cloud is meant to be, pop over here and you can read or listen to the story. My first thought is this: aren’t we really just going back to radio? Actual radio? (“Hey man, I can totally listen to a mix of music on this little radio. Anywhere!) Clearly there are differences between a DJ choosing music for me and me sort of setting up what I want to hear but the last thing I want responsibility for is coming up with my playlist for the day – or hour – ahead of time…or right then. If I understand the basic premise of having all your music off on some server somewhere in the big blue correctly, I’m paying for the music but I don’t own it. I’m simply paying for access to the tunes and then…what? I get in the car with my iPhone and pull-up my ‘music’ app and then what? Pick songs? Open a playlist? What? Do I select a Cloud Cult album (see how I tied that in?) and hit play? I’m not much for being tethered to something for my music. Here’s how my music life works. I buy music, I put it on my iPod in artist playlists, I pick who I want to hear (I’m not much for one song by artist A, one song by artist B, etc.) and either shuffle or play the list straight through. If I want to set up a Pandora station that aligns with a certain artist or type of artist then I do, but I’ve even grown away from that. If I want actual ‘radio’ then I listen to the Current out of Minneapolis and let someone give me whatever music strikes them – the Current music, overall, strikes me. (This sort of reminds me of the e-reader/Kindle panel a few years ago where one panelist pointed out that having a Kindle was convenient: small size, light weight, you can read it anywhere. The comeback to that was that we already have that technology…it’s called a book.) Even if I forego the discussion about bandwidth, quality of sound, connectivity wherever I might be, etc. I’m not initially sold on this idea. What if I’m up in Leyden and want to listen to my music? As if that would be possible…

No comments: