Monday, August 25, 2008

vote and get a free gift

(photo: Sunday (London) Times)

Based on what I can ascertain from the “schedule” for tonight’s opening of the Convention in Denver, Michelle Obama will be on sometime between 7pm and 9pm MDT. Assuming things run a little long – and not assuming that I live on the East Coast – I’m guessing I’ll need a nap if I’m to watch her around 10:30pm local. I feel old. I’ve got to believe that this will be the moment she either convinces the America that hates her; I don’t see another chance. I’m not fully sure why the wife of a candidate is so important – didn’t the public just loath First Lady Clinton? – but, it’s become vastly more important over the last 20 years. I haven’t heard a potential, or serving, First Lady give any kind of speech that mattered but I think that may change tonight. Love her or hate her, I think you should watch.

On the way to work this morning I noticed a big green banner hanging over the top story of a small bank near Dunn Loring. It offered up “completely free checking…and a free gift”. Back in the late 1970s there was a sort independent Omaha-area bank, Southwest, that offered free gifts. At the time, their free gift cache and marketing campaign was “Thumbody loves you!” Apparently, the bank LOVED me! I only has some little passport savings account with about ten bucks in it but I got lots of stickers, bags, posters, and assorted crap with a stupid thumb print on it. I wonder if this little local bank has the remaining Thumbody stash from Omaha. Even without that, what is a bank giving away as a free gift these days? Since banks suck on all accounts (no pun intended), they better be giving me a brand new G3 iPhone and one year’s paid service. Free gift, right?

Isn’t there some unwritten rule about not giving a woman an appliance for her birthday, Christmas, anniversary, and/or Valentine’s Day?

hey to all...

No comments: