Wednesday, August 20, 2008

baby baby baby



I’d say I have no idea how this started but I’d be fibbing. I saw a link to a Japanese game-show version of mocked-up people doing We Are The World – it was awful and there’s no way I’d get through it. What it did was lead me down the youtube path that immediately got completely out-of-hand. I had no idea that this damn song was over seven minutes long; I could have done with more Bruce and Cyndi Lauper. What can you do? Take a little trip back to 1985 with me and a little get together managed by Michael Jackson and Quincy Jones after that year’s Grammys. My hair is mouss-ing up as you click:



Of course, this led me immediately to the Band Aid anthem, Do They Know It’s Christmas, written and run by Bob Geldof. I was only kidding about the hair in the first video – this is hair….all hair. They were all so young.



Oh, look! I’ve found a 20th anniversary recreation of Band Aid with new artists. Bingo! I can’t name but a few of them and it’s good to see Bono back. More importantly, Robbie Williams. Anything Robbie Williams does is wickedly cool.



Back to the long songs that came up earlier: I immediately thought of the longest #1 song in history, the first song I ever learned the lyrics to (I was 7 and living in Minneapolis), and still my all-time favorite diddy. This is a live version from back in ’72. Go ahead, you want to sing along.



And since you asked, here’s the first song I air-guitared to in the same downstairs bedroom in Edina, Minnesota in the first grade…with a ukulele. Damn, I was good. I wanted to be Neil Diamond. I couldn’t find a quality version with a kicking bass player and back-up singers…



I’ll let you go. I am what I am….

Hugs to all.

t

.....oh i love my rosie child....

No comments: