Thursday, June 07, 2007

old bags


Everyone surely has a memory of their favorite bag of mine; I’ve heard the man-bag comment from each and every one of you. I certainly have a favorite: I bought it in S.F. in November 2003 when I was visiting town one weekend to see Lucinda Williams at the Fillmore. It was black with gray straps, a single main compartment, two external pockets on the ends – external pockets* are tough to find these days. Prior to that legendary purchase I’d been through any number of normal backpacks, kidney bean-shaped backpacks, smaller map cases, etc., but never hit upon the perfect bag while I was living over in Europe…go figure. The issue with the backpack design is that you never wear it with both straps across your shoulders, at least I wouldn’t, so the one strap is endlessly slipping off your shoulder and you feel like you need to hold that shitty strap with your right hand – and that defeats the purpose of the bag. I bought the black bag on a flyer while strolling to Amoeba Records over on Haight St. What I learned about the bag over that first weekend was that when my cell phone was set to vibrate and was stored in the outer pocket I could feel the vibration through the strap that was over my shoulder. Bonus! I remember it well because X was texting me ALL the time…she’s very persistent.

Now I’m onto my umpteenth bag since the demise of the black bag sometime in 2005. I honestly don’t remember whether the bag finally gave out or I moved on thinking I’d no doubt find something better. If I did get rid of it in search of something better, what a fool, I haven’t one…yet. I’ve been flirting with the Timbuk2 messenger bags for a few years and finally broke down last week and order one from Sierra Trading Post (at 50% off). The bag is on its first full day of trails.

If you’re wondering why the bag is so important, I’ll give you my most obvious trait: I hate having anything in my pockets. Beyond that, here’s a list of stuff I kind of carry around with me most of the time: sunglasses, wallet, pens, pencils, a magazine/newspaper, hand soap, the crossword, a pad of paper, my iPod, some water, a day planner, and maybe an umbrella. Any collection of other junk can show up on a need-be-basis (a book, something that X hands me, something that Laurel hands me, etc.). In the end - I’ve got everything in one place, I can sling it over my shoulder, and I’ve got two hands free…

I hear the laughter out here. I’m not that bad, believe me. You should hear the conversations between the Wonder Twins while we walk to the Metro every mornings, chatter chatter chatter make-up chatter chatter lip gloss chatter chatter shoes chatter chatter necklace chatter chatter bitchy chatter (me fading to gray…). It’s just like that, I swear.

*speaking of pockets, stylists are into another cycle of men’s shorts that are either covered in big stupid cargo pockets or full of pleats. I don’t do pleats and I generally hate big cargo pockets. Just saying…

From our nation’s capital.

T.

No comments: