Monday, June 04, 2007

law and order


The dire consequences of a rookie driver on the #401; I spied the northbound bus coming into the Dunn Loring station metro zone, moved to the boarding area as per usual, and then watched the bus fly right by the assembled crowd and stop at the southbound(!) shelter. No worries for me as I just stepped down to that shelter, knowing full well it was the northbound bus, and awaited the doors. The rest of my comrades were less willing to look silly by possibly moving to what is clearly the wrong shelter; those who were already at the southbound shelter, two Chinese men, jumped right on followed closely by yours truly. I immediately recognized the driver as a young guy who was on this route with a trainer a few weeks ago; just a small mistake in remembering which shelter is which. Once I disappeared up the steps the rest my business casual minions scooted down and boarded the bus in a more random fashion than normal…some of the riders in seats they don’t normally choose. All of them looking about and trying to sort if I were still a quality leader but not actually wanted to look right at me. I don’t believe they had faith until we ended up in the left turn lane at station’s exit. Much exhaling and relief; I was already mindlessly dancing to my music. I took care of them. Of course, the two Chinese riders were shocked when the bus turned north out of parking, they glanced at each other, scanned the scenery, and immediately yanked the buzzer to get off the crazy bus.

During an episode of “searching for playground” jurisprudence this weekend, X had to sort out the following snippets of testimony:

G: Mommy. I asked H for some hangers (they were putting away laundry) and he threw them at me and hit me in my head.
X: H, come here.
H: Coming [in a nice lilt. He arrives]. Yes Mommy?
X: Did you throw hangers and hit Gabe in his head?
H: What? No. He asked for some hangers, I held them out with my hand [showing arm extended fully], and he did this with his head [some imitation of G. doing a snake dance thingy and throwing his head into the hangers held out innocently in H.’s hand]. I didn’t throw them! He hit his head on them!
G: I did not! [always helpful testimony]

I think the final verdict was that is was highly unlikely (and a bit unusual) that anyone would throw their head into elevated hangers. It didn’t help the defense when his friend testified to this effect, “H. threw the hangers and hit G. in the head. G. is telling the truth, H. isn’t.” There you have it…friends can turn so quickly.

We almost didn't find a Sunday NYTimes yesterday. The search didn't commence until late in the afternoon after I'd done some cleaning and X has attempted some hostile takeover of Everbank and United Airlines via the internet. I think she succeeded. Having said that, I don't think she showed nearly enough worry about intial search efforts.

It's humid.

T.

No comments: