Saturday, September 03, 2005

views from a tart





I've taken to bringing my camera on the rides to and from work. The original idea was to get a picture of Shadow (my canine nemesis) some morning as he gave chase into the street. I figure that if I have the camera ready I'll be able to get a blurry snap of gnashing teeth and ferocity. Then I started thinking about other transit vistas: the road, the dark, the canal, a cow or two. Then I started thinking about what to call my transit. Then I thought that everyone else seems to use 'ART' as the area rapid transit baseline so I just added my 'T' as the prefix. My very own rapid transit system. Digressing. There's something cool about riding every morning and afternoon and how quickly one figures out the weather: when it's turning, how windy the day will be, how the pollen will fly through the air, whether rain's a-coming, and how strong the water supply in Northern Nevada is at any given time. It's like my very own trick knee. I'd imagine anyone who doesn't drive to work everyday (any input from those that walk to underground stations?) makes the same observations. And another parallel for all commuters; effing cars. Word from D.C. is that 'drivers' have no respect for walkers in crosswalks; all cyclists have similar issues all over America. I don't THINK there's a law saying that drivers are required to pass cyclists while staying within 6-12 inches of my knees. Regardless of driver stupidity, it's refreshing to have a 25-minute ride to start and end the day. Add in the crazy $3.50/gallon out here and I'm quite happy. Here are some vistas; most importantly, note the driveway (picture 2) and imagine trying to get a visual on Shadow sprinting out the driveway, through the trees, in order to attack. Add in morning darkness and the fact that Shadow, as you'd expect, is black. Love to all

No comments: