Sunday, September 18, 2005

ten for my age

Lots of ideas have driven me to the list of ten. Much like John Cusack's character in "High Fidelity", I tend to keep lists in my head, sometimes I even write them down. Once I get going I find categories expand and page upon page full of writing falls to the floor. I decided that at 40 I'd make a list of ten that I would want anyone to see or hear, regardless of what you think you may, or may not, like. I try to keep age and the spectrum from the tally. As much as anything, I'd like to take my family and friends on a tour of the sights just so I can sit back and watch reactions. I'll do the ten in bits-and-pieces, no need for everything at once. Here we go, in no particular order...

The Office (BBC) - Apologies to Seinfeld, but the Office is the best TV series ever made. Ricky Gervais has the benefit of density (only 13 episodes, including the Holiday special), but every one was amazing. There isn’t a character to match Kramer but the cast and idea is so true to life that you have to turn away because it often hits too close to home. I'll put forth that living in England for ten years makes it easier to understand the lingo, but the premise is dead-on. If you don't start singing along with 'Free Love on the Freelove Freeway' then you've got no humor (or humour).

The Grand Canyon - This summer has added Mt. Rainier and Lake Tahoe to my list of devastatingly beautiful scenery. Something about how nature signs its name that makes a very small piece of the universe (me) wonder what's going on. I'm still struck by what I saw at the Canyon a number of years back: mountains in reverse, unbelieveable colors, California Condors soaring at 5,000 feet....below me. I'd love to hike the canyon south to north with a night camping at the base. It's the most amazing vista I've ever seen. Sarah and I stayed at a beautiful B & B in Flagstaff on that trip and the drive to the Canyon was a wonderful thing.

Tammam in Hania, Crete - THE best restaurant in the world. At least the best place I've ever been. A bevy of appetizers, a fabulous house wine, a nice atmosphere and a surprising bite for dessert. I've probably eaten here 30 times and I've never been disappointed...the hot cheese salad, tzatziki, hot peppers, saganaki, and skordalia. The restaurant is an old Turkish bath off the city's main area and allows a nice long meal before heading to the harbor. You can sit and people watch, drink some cocktails, and enjoy Greek life.

Michealangelo's David - Yes, it's Florence. There's endless amounts of art throughout the city (the Uffizi, the Botacellis, the Rembrandts...) but David is the centerpiece. Don't let the David bobblehead dolls, 'fridge magnets, and postcards put you off. If you have time, go to the Academy on a Wednesday night (it's open late) and have the place to yourself. Standing before this massive sculpture is like nothing I've ever seen...deep, moving, dark...massive. Move about the room and see how his eyes watch you. Stand before him and take a little time to contemplate how human he is...and how human we are...

Someday, Someway by Marshall Crenshaw - It's what pop music is suppose to be...the best song of the last 35 years. The lyrics certainly aren't philosophical but the tune and chorus are so very sweet. I could listen to this on loop for days on end but I try to keep it fresh. I've seen Marshall twice and he always plays the great old man...I think he knows.

That's five for now....xo to all

No comments: