Saturday, September 24, 2005

divulging the secret

For those wondering about stocking stuffers...everyone will get a copy of "Universal United House of Prayer" by Buddy Miller. Maybe I'm a year late, I've had it all along, but in the end everyone'll be happy. I'll try to make the background quick. Buddy Miller is a country singer-songwriter that singlehandedly represents everything that country music was years ago. His guitar playing and singing are second to none in the industry (apologies to Lyle Lovett), and the respect he commands is beyond pale. Buddy was Emmylou Harris's bandleader/guitar player for eight years, Steve Earle's guitar player (a true Duke) for a couple of years, and now tours with his songbird wife Julie and the blues-based McCrary sisters. If you're at a festival you'll see every artist standing stage left to watch Buddy play his set. The reason this comes up? I'm off to see Buddy open for Emmylou Harris tomorrow night in Reno; outdoors at the beautiful Hawkins Amphitheater...bundled up for a cool night in the mountains. A bad word against Emmy gets you in hot water, a bad word about Buddy and we'll be fighting outside on the sidewalk...be warned! From this I get the pleasure of two days at Hardly, Strictly Bluegrass in San Francisco next weekend (Buddy and Emmy playing). Not only is the music singing through the park, but the lovely Christine joins me for two days of the best that strings can offer. I haven't sorted whether she's coming to see to me or if she's ensuring that I don't have too much fun without her around (last year she listened by cellphone). Her intentions seem true...

The girls are doing well. Laurel and I had a long talk about friends, skating parties, slumber parties, and how difficult it can be when you're nine. She's always been a simple soul and now she worries about friends and hanging out...she'll be fine, but it can be heart-wrenching to hear such a sweet voice worry about friendships.

Sarah's doing well at school though we debate some grades...the easy ones...that slip away. Maybe it's best if she came here and we went to school together. Between A&P and Chemistry I think I could get her on the right study schedule...well, my schedule....

I've settled on the house and garden I want. Be warned....

xo

T

No comments: