Sunday, September 25, 2005

cool side of the pillow



Just like those nights when turning the pillow rewards you with the perfect salve for the heat, Buddy and Emmylou are just what one needs to forget about the world for an evening. We all have those patches of light that make everything brighter: the dahlia garden at Anglesey Abbey in September, Laurel showing me a new magic trick, X walking from the Reno terminal, or that perfect cup of coffee and NYTimes on a cool Sunday morning. It's all about stuff that kicks the rest of the world, and it's ills, to the back of the queue. A cool night at the base of the hills in South Reno and the outdoor amphitheater were just the tonic to forget about the news. I don't have TV so I don't find myself dwelling on the non-stop reporting...I can just click my mouse and move onto something else so it's not as if my days are overrun with horror, but still. The stage was set with only two microphone stands and a plethora of guitars. I figured we were in for just the two of them intermingling songs from their catalogs throughout the show, and that was the case. You won't hear two purer voices anywhere in music and the years touring together mean that everything is perfectly synchronized. Overall, almost three hours with a thirty minute break after Buddy's set. Wow. Funny stuff that happened? Well, at one point Emmylou's guitar got a little flat between songs and Buddy just told her "not to play that string", to which she responded "I paid for it, I'm playing it". She also referred to him as "all the band a girl needs", which was true enough. Some Townes Van Zandt songs, a few Gram Parsons diddies, a trio of Louvin Brothers songs, and a herd of originals. An excellent show under the stars...now I'm ready for anything. A shot of the two during her set...and one of me and Buddy after the show. Love to all.

No comments: