Thursday, December 04, 2008

malled

I blame this opening on Mary Chapin-Carpenter who I’ve enjoy on-and-off for years. She was scheduled for an interview on NPR yesterday – one I didn’t listen to – to discuss her new Christmas album. Who buys Christmas albums? I think I’ve picked up a few CDs over the last few years when I knew there’d be visitors but they came from the $.99 bargain bin and were merely compilations of Bing Crosby, Elvis, Jim Nabors, and some instrumentals. The last original I bought was probably the Mannheim Steamroller CD back in the late 80s or early 90s. Every year artists seem to trot out Christmas units and I’m baffled by the appeal. There haven’t been any new standards written, right? And if the artists are adding in newer songs they consider worthy of yuletide repeat then it seems a huge risk – most of us want the basics. I sort of see this as the equivalent of performers releasing compilations of great patriotic songs in July: the Star Spangled Banner, God Bless America, etc. If I’m going to even consider listening to those performances of the National Anthem then I’m looking for the best singers ever, not Beyonce or Michael Bolton. There isn’t a singer on my list of favorites who could put out a Christmas CD that I would even consider buying, ever.

I swung over to the Galleria today (yes, it’s just as upscale as it sounds) to return some of X’s J. Crew purchases. She prepped me with a quick “stand firm on the trousers if they give you a hard time” script. It wasn’t required in the end as the store was perfectly happy to take back everything and give back all the dollars. What I did notice, as a small aside, is that every girl working the counter ran about 5’1” and 98 pounds. I could have taken the whole crew if a fight had broken out – it would have looked like a bunch of kindergartners hanging off the legs of the gym teacher at recess as he walks back to the building.

I’m off to the Caps game tonight (vs. the Islanders) and the rest of the crew will be doing some scouting activities throughout the evening.

I know. Life isn’t always interesting.

t

p.s. my kitty has a cold. thought you should know.

No comments: