Monday, December 15, 2008

film fest

I’ll confess to the world that I bailed out of the house yesterday prior to the kids’ birthday party and reptile show. I don’t much care for lots of kids running about or reptiles. It seemed like the best option.

I drove down to the Shirlington neighborhood in Arlington and took in Slumdog Millionaire – which was about the only movie I’d seen advertised in the last six months that I was interested in seeing. The basic premise is this: and kid from slums of Mumbai is on the Indian version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire and ends up answering the questions based on knowledge from his life’s experiences. You’ll need to either go to the theatre or await its release on DVD to sort out the rest of the story. A word of warning: it’s directed by the same man who directed Trainspotting (Danny Boyle) so it has its share of violence. What amazed me about the film is how seamlessly Boyle and cycle between violence, comedy, a love story, suspense, heart-rending emotion, joy, and misery. And still kick you out of the theatre feeling happy, yet beaten in ways. All of the acting is outstanding, the soundtrack is awesome, and the final video during the credits give you a happy nudge as you leave your seat and wander into the cold. Looking back at the movies I’ve seen in the last five years, I’d definitely put this in the top three. Of course, there were a few previews (The Wrestler and Gran Torino) that look promising – is this the time of year when all the good stuff shows up? It seems like we’re a few months past my normal “good movie” season.

I’m going to take a look around the Web this evening and see if I can find at least some audio links, if not videos, of two songs from the newest Jolie Holland CD. The reason this is vitally important is because both Corrido Por Buddy and Your Big Hands are both perfect examples of songs I love. I’m not saying they are my favorite songs of all-time, I do quite like them, but they would certainly answer the question “If Todd could explain exactly what he likes in a song, what would he say?” The answer would be these songs. The jingle of both is perfect. I realized while we were driving home over Thanksgiving that Your Big Hands was the perfect song outline for me…Corrido Por Buddy came along later and jumped into the same canoe.

Our weather is undecided – cold and windy, warm and windy, cold and still. It’ll sort itself out soon enough.

t

No comments: