Saturday, September 08, 2007

miscellany


Lots of things; little of nothing.

I managed a batch of roasted vegetable lasagna with a basil oil sauce last night. As with much involving veg, it ended up being more work than one expects. Damn good, nonetheless. The Eleven headed over to the farmers market in Clarendon this morning - same vendors as DuPont Circle on Sundays - and grabbed some peachs, peppers, sorel, mushrooms, tomatoes, and basil. The leader of the pack was a $20 pile of fresh porcini that needed a'cookin'. They ended up sauteed in olive oil over a pile of polenta (resting on broiled bottom of roquefort) with fresh greens and an heirloom tomato. Very nice. I'll need to so some research on just what one is to do with sorel. Half the massive peaches ended up in a double-crust peach and blueberry pie. You can't go wrong with huge white peaches...even if you try.

I'm off in the early morning for my first game in the Fall Ultimate season. A new rec team that's captained by some 22-year old punk. We played his team twice over the Summer and he's really good. He was a punk over the Summer but now I'm on his team...love him! Last season I dubbed him Samberg - primarily because he looks just like SNL's Andy Samberg. If you haven't seen Samberg's funniest work (not the Ultimate version, the SNL version) here it is. It'll be a fun season as I try to get better (shape, skills, etc.) before next Summer.

Nebraska struggled today and they've got #1 USC in Lincoln next Saturday. I don't like Coach Bill Callahan, and as much as I want them to do well, they'll get hammered. USC 31 Nebraska 14.

X has decided to publish in the Environmental Law Reporter (January issue). I played a bit of the pro/con issue with her - hopefully not too persuasive - and she sent the e-mail confirming her decision this evening. It's impossible for me to imagine writing an article that's so timely that it would warrant this kind of decision. Her passion as she wrote, her worry that it wasn't quite good enough have been shattered (the worry) by the acceptance she's recieved. I'm very proud of her...and I'm simply the cook!

I sent out a few links last week for lake/waterfront cabins in Quebec. There are those who've deemed the Great White North as next Summer's destination of choice. No response...one can only try.

The Eleven are off to Rockville, Maryland tomorrow night for the (my) much anticipated Mavis Staples show (third row). I sense some worry in her eyes; as if I'd lasso her into something she wouldn't enjoy. What? Me?

Love to all.

T.

No comments: