Wednesday, January 18, 2006

triage; you win some, you lose some



It's a busy ER these early days of aught-six. Blustery overnights outside and hung storms in the Sierra making the staff wonder just what's coming next. Before you know it you're stuck sorting out what goes and what stays. Look around and pull any available body to serve as triager (yes, I made it up) to make those hard decisions. I'm looking both ways, eyeing the new stuff of '06, and can easily move from chair-to-chair and delineate what's 'in' and what's 'out'...so to speak. Isn't it like the much ignored rule saying that if you bring something into the house then something must go? (Children are generally excluded.) I've made my in/out, thumbs up/thumbs down, love/hate decision; I've been in the trenches making the hard choices. You don't know what it's like...

One word for the keeper: podcast. I'm embarassed at how often 'pod' and 'tunes' appear in my postings but I can't help it. Since my computer / music / iPod / life are finally realigned I've taken on podcasting. Let me say this: podcast. I can download all my favorite stuff from my favorite stuff: NPR's 50 memorable moments of 2005, Seattle's own KEXP's 'music that matters', The Current's 'musicheads', and Paste Magazine's Culture Club. It's TiVO for the ears and it's fantastic. It won't be long before sitting by the radio on Sunday mornings turns to listening whenever I want. Podcast. Genius.

The loser? My local coffeeshop has changed hands as Corie got some crazy idea to sell and travel the World for a year. What does a 25-year old know? Nothing. Well, she does know something but I can still stamp my feet. She sold to a local couple that don't have nearly the vibe of the old days. They still have music on Friday's, the staff is adequate, the coffee seems okay, but it's not the same. You can't take Patton away and expect the Army to be the same, right? No idea where that came from. Maybe it's better in the end since I'd been seeing Bibo Coffee in Reno and feeling a little guilty. Maybe I knew it was coming. The end of the road for Jive n' Java and me. There's a picture of the Jive Thru up there.

Great live music strolling through the Reno/Lake area over the next six weeks. It'll center on a night with Todd Snider and the Nervous Wrecks down in Reno on my bday eve. I'm sure silly reports will be posted.

Tomorrow is Thursday and I don't even know what the cafeteria is serving.

T

No comments: