Monday, January 16, 2006

nuts and bolts of anger



It was only 8am when the phone rang and fifteen minutes later a 'truth' was laid upon the world. Actually, that phrase will seem much funnier when you're done reading this blurb. I'm not how it all started but it seems a little bird commented on how we've lost so many of the most basic abilities that were common early in the 20th century. As examples you can look at anything falling under the banner of "do-it-yourself" these days: woodworking, automobile/carriage repair, basic home improvement, welding, herding, harvesting, roofing and any other thing I know I can't do. At some point we, we'll call us the industrial people, we've acheived a point of financial saturation where it became easier to just pay someone for the task; we didn't have a need to learn the basics. (Beware of the segue, it's a-comin' up the track.) These days, In order to learn how to do something, we're forced to buy a book and attempt to sort this from that; twist here and release the thinga-ma-gig before devoluting the bit you can't find. One of the problems one faces is there seems to be endless ways of getting the thinga-ma-gig twisted and released and everyone has an opinion on what's what. Ah, the loss of generational know how. This started out with woodworking and power tools and my contribution (much less D.I.Y. than suburban desire...) involved just how to get a perfect cup of coffee from a french press. I know, life altering stuff going on in my little house. If you must know, I yanked hard on the Google-lever, and much to my surprise, there's plenty of folk that have an opinion on the french press. I don't think details are required. Now we had woodworking and coffee in the thrasher and the realization that the number of ingredients involved (x.y,z), and the more options or desires for the finished product, the more intense someone will argue for his or her case. I mean, if nothing's known for certain, if opinion is the only 'final' outcome than people can babble on incessantly...and angrily. Into the mash came facial wash, the turning of nuts and screws, and religion; we've suddenly brought in the entire spectrum of human endeavor. Let's see if it makes sense. The more inputs and the more open-ended the result, the more intense and passionate the debate. I guess if these activities were put in some kind of order, from least debateable to most hostile, it would go something like: nuts and screws, french press coffee, woodworking, facial wash and religion. I'll leave the french press and woodworking position open since I can sense some debate. You never know, do you?

t

No comments: