Friday, October 10, 2008

go, baby, go


Here’s my Sarah Palin entry for this campaign.

Since I made up my mind that I don’t think she’ll be the vice president I’ve been wondering just what her future holds. There are lots of supporters who opine that she’s the future of the Republican Party, in politics, and that in another four years she’ll be around to run for President. I don’t quite see it that way but I think she’ll be hugely popular, regardless. First for the politics part. Before anyone knew her name – or anyone in Alaska knew much about their governor – her approval ratings in Alaska were up around 80%. Since her nomination, those approval ratings in Alaska have fallen to about 65%, depending on the polling source: the big math picture is that approval of her work in Alaska is down nearly 20% (not raw points but as a lost percentage…never mind). I don’t think that she’d win re-election as governor in 2010; in fact, I don’t think she can ever win another state-wide election so the U.S. Senate or House aren’t options – Alaska only has one representative so it’s also a state-wide election. Where does that leave her in two years’ time? I’ll put out a betting line that the perfect landing site for her combination of politics, “betchas”, looks, and blind allegiance will be as host to millions on her own show at Fox News. What’s wrong with lots of money and oodles of loyal followers supporting a Sarah Palin-led nightly gabfest on the fair-and-balanced network? They could very easily tie her show to O’Reilly’s and run a back-to-back programming gauntlet, a la The Daily Show and Colbert: Palin pops in via picture-in-picture towards the end of O’Reilly’s show and gives us a preview of what’s on tap for her thirty minutes of airtime. I’d even offer up the possibility of “The Drill with Sarah Palin” as a working title. Buy stock now.


t

No comments: