Saturday, October 04, 2008

cutting the wire


I know I’m way behind the curve on The Wire since I rely on DVDs and not TV. I’ve put on some Pogues to write this after hearing The Body of an American at McNulty’s ‘wake’. It’ll keep the mood.

Halfway through the final double-episode I felt it all slipping away. David Simon created an entire series based on the most flawed cast of characters in TV history. I really felt that as it was wrapping up – concocted murders, illegal taps, complete misbehavior – that we should have just watched each of them trotted off to jail, with the exception of Daniels who should have stood his ground and fucked everyone. That would be my preference. In that sole respect, I think he wanted an end that was too much of refined finish upon the grime of the series. Consider that picking nits. What I did reaffirm during the final season was that the creation of State Senator Clay Davis (played brilliantly by Isiah Whitlock Jr.) was one of TV’s greatest moments, ever. I’ll also never get over Omar getting done by a 10-year old, in a convenience store, just as you felt he was about to off Marlo. As I looked back on Omar’s end I realized it was really the only conclusion, wasn’t it? But, I still hated it.

Even though HBO has taken some hits lately it’s cool think that between the Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, and Six Feet Under, they redefined good TV. It seems like every basic cable channel has followed the lead. Putting the bolts to crappy broadcast TV feels pretty good.

I’d seem like a horrible loser if I didn’t at least give a kick at the Cubs. I don’t think they could have gagged worse than they have in the first two games. I, like Harry Carey, always think there’s hope against all hope. Maybe a sneaky win tonight in LA will start a roll, but, the odds are so long. I’ll be watching.

t.

No comments: