Thursday, October 27, 2005

so it tumbles


Finally, the best season of the year is in full bloom. Get out the sweaters, nice jeans, and just-cool-enough kit...it's really Autumn. September and early October are all well and good, but Fall really kicks you in the behind between mid-October and the 1st of December....everything else, imposters. The leaves are getting raked and that strange smokey smell takes over the days. I don't know if it's burning leaves, burning old wood from last year, clearing brush, or whatnot, but it smells of Autumn. The last two weeks here have been beautiful and it's because the temperature in the afternoon is so perfect. I'll refine that; the temperature from 9:30A to 5p is perfect. I never felt that morning freezes and cold nibbles meant much in the grand scheme of things (tomatoes, flowers) simply because it's the brace of hours after sunrise, and few before sunset, that tell the mind and body all. How nice it is to wander over and close the windows about 6p; the feeling of starting a fire near dusk so the house is warm by sundown; that chill that sets in and makes you start thinking about the flannel sheets on the bed. I went out on Sunday and tried my best to get some pictures of the colors around town. Fallon is full of irrigation canals... it isn't so much desert as it is a green strip of agriculture across the high plains. Water flows with the roads and the fields are full year-round. Very East Anglia...pitch in the overcast and I'd swear I was back in England. A few colors in the picture for all to see. Wednesday always seems to end the week as my classes are finally done until Monday. My mid-week hopes are in Florida....

xxx for those that need them

t

No comments: