Thursday, January 08, 2009

paper cut


X swung by the library after piano lessons last night to pick up a few books she had on hold. You might imagine she’d have reserved some mysteries for bedtime reading, maybe a gardening book, or possibly a compilation of poetry. Nope, nope, and nope. She needed The Complete Book of Sharpening and another volume on Japanese Woodcutting, or some such. What I learned just before slipping off to sleep was that the most important thing to avoid when working a high carbon blade is overheating. Did you know that? I didn’t think so. This book is no pamphlet; it’s more than 200 pages of sharpening, science, and the cutting of stuff. If I were manly I would already know everything in the book – in fact, I might actually read the book. I’ll stick with my cooking tomes, pre-assigned Global knife sharpener (and the ceramic configured “V” for the German swords), and Sur Le Table catalogs. I think the second chapter of the book opens with something like this, “If you thought we’d continue without a chapter on physics, you’re horribly mistaken.”

We started to try to sort out summer plans. I think L will be here for a month between mid-July and mid-August with everyone spending a week at some cabin, in some northern area, near some water. We’re also trying to get her summer camping plans in order for D.C. – I wonder if Sidwell camps (which she attended last summer) are going to be more crowded now that “the girls” attend during the school year? Maybe I should get cracking.

We learned this morning that G's math teacher took a good, long look at confused children and decided they actually need to learn how to do long division. Really? You mean the little circles and squares they were taught as a "system" is actually worthless. Shocked. SHOCKED!

t

No comments: