Wednesday, January 31, 2007

spawling into music city



Today I scored two front row tickets for a Lucinda Williams show at the historic Ryman Auditorium in Nashville. Advance ticket sales were available through her website so I gave it whirl…bingo! I know you’re recollecting that I swore off Lu’s shows after what became known as the “Reno Debacle”. That cold evening at the Hawkins Amphitheater is remembered for Lu deciding to sit in her tour bus for at least two long hours before eventually appearing after at least half the house had walked out in disgust. I’d seen her before in Reno, as well as at the Fillmore in San Francisco, so I knew she could be temperamental but that evening was just obscene. Maybe we grow and mature in our years (me, not necessarily her, but who knows?) so I’m giving her another shot. I suspect that she wouldn’t dare stand-up a crowd at the most historic country music venue in the World; and, based on interviews I’ve read for the new album, she seems in great spirits. If I count the mass of great artists that call Nashville home (at least part-time), and I see who isn’t out touring right now (Steve Earle, are you reading this?), there is every potential for someone to pop in for a few jams on March 30th. The Heartless Bastards are opening on this first portion of her tour so I can rest easy knowing that the parade of miserable opening acts will end that night. Stay tuned.

P.S. Yes, I know. I don’t even live in Nashville.

No comments: